Family Law and Domestic Violence Lawyer
Protection from Abuse and Protection from Stalking
In Kansas, people often obtain restraining orders because they have been abused or stalked. The Protection from Abuse and Protection from Stalking Acts provide people with protection from others.
In some cases, you may need protection from those who pose a threat to your safety or well-being. However, the restraining order process can be used frivolously by those seeking to annoy or frustrate a person with whom they are upset.
Our domestic violence attorneys have experience in assisting clients with obtaining a restraining order. Additionally, they can assist in the defense against an improperly filed restraining order.
Types of domestic violence can include:
- Physical abuse
- This can include hitting, punching, etc. but can also include threats and withholding of physical needs including food, or sleep. Holding someone against their will is also a form of physical abuse.
- Sexual abuse
- This occurs when someone uses force, guilt, or manipulation to obtain sex or sexual favors from another person. This also includes exploiting victims who are unable to make an informed decision about sexual activity (sleeping, intoxicated, disabled, etc.)
- Emotional abuse and intimidation
- Includes threatening or accusing with the intention to cause physical harm or loss. This can include threats of death to the victim or perpetrator.
- Verbal abuse
- Verbal abuse can include threats of physical harm to the victim or their loved ones (children, pets, family).
Please contact family law and domestic violence lawyer Jennifer Wagle or Stephen Turley.